Purchasing a petri dish home test is futile, it simply confirms that there is mold in the environment.

Mold is everywhere. It is the type, quantity, and source, that could be a problem.

Mold itself is not toxic but the mycotoxins that mold produces are the true problem.

Mold comes in many colors and you may see mold, but you can’t assume that because it is black in color, that it is “black mold”.


“Black mold” is a term coined by the media, not an actual species. Many illnesses can develop when you are in a moldy environment. Often people do not realize they have a mold related illness or believe that symptoms may be attributed to something other than mold. Specific groups of people may be affected by common molds more so than others.

They include developing and declining immune systems, individuals with allergies, auto-immune diseases, the gene (HLA-DR) causes a genetic predisposition to mold intolerance, pregnant women, children, the elderly, and even your pets. 


Symptoms include:

- Decreased memory

- Difficulty concentrating, blurred vision, and/or red eyes

- Shortness of breath, sinus congestion, or a persistent cough

- Joint pain and stiffness

- A feeling of numbness, tingling, rashes

- Appetite swings, mood swings, and/or sweats

- Higher frequency of urination and feeling thirsty

- Abdominal pain, bloating, and/or diarrhea

- A metallic taste in your mouth

- Vertigo or tremors

- Feeling lightheaded or dizzy

- Seizures

- Hallucinations

If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, consult a functional medicine or alternative medicine practitioner, they are more likely to be familiar with mold related symptoms and treatment options.

Molds commonly found at Inspection:

*Aspergillus/Penicillium - Surface Mold
Rapidly growing and abundant. Often found in areas with water damage and high humidity. It grows on walls, wood, behind wallpaper, carpet, HVAC vents, and personal items with skin cells and skin oil, to name a few. This mold can cause respiratory problems as the spores travel easily and can be inhaled.

Health effects include asthma, chronic sinusitis, aspergillosis, rashes, invasive infections, and can worsen existing health issues. Some species of Penicillium are pathogens and can cause infections in internal organs, bone marrow, skin, and lymph nodes.


*Cladosporium - Surface Mold
Occurs in areas with water damage and/or high humidity. These spores exist in very high concentrations in the air and increase during summer through early fall. A common allergen, it grows on organic materials such as fabric, carpet, and upholsteries, inside cabinets and under floorboards. It can cause irritation to the nose, eyes, throat, and skin. Other conditions include anaphylaxis, dermal swelling, hives, skin infections and lesions, lung infection, and asthma can occur.


*Stachybotrys - Slime Mold
Typically occurs in conjunction with long term water damage. Also known as “black mold”. Stachybotrys produces mycotoxins that may cause severe physical damage. Symptoms include sinusitis, breathing issues, and fatigue. Burning in your nose or throat, nose bleeds, persistent cough, painful headaches, hallucinations, and chest pains. This mold is also linked to neurological issues in children.


*Chaetomium - Slime Mold
This mold is commonly found in homes or buildings that have experienced water damage. This can cause skin infections; it can produce mycotoxins which can be very harmful for people with compromised or weak immune systems.